2007-05-18

Back to the Land of the Living...Writers

It's been a month to the day since I last wrote anything in this blog, and it's been a bit of a depressing time in those four weeks.

But after downloading a free, short e-book on short story writing, I decided tonight I'd plunge back in.

It was so nice to sit down and not worry about court cases, lawyers, or insurance. I actually have the guts to a short story written now. Well, about halfway written, more or less. I was so happy, I actually cried a bit. For once in the past couple of months, they were tears of joy. I felt so good about it, I just had to blog, just had to let go. Even as I write, I feel the tears welling up. I can't stop thinking about how good, how right it felt to get a story down with pen and paper.

No title as yet, but it's about a woman hesitating about making decisions (something I've had to struggle with lately): Getting her and her family out of harm's way (roaming bands of thugs have taken over the countryside where she lives) and changing her daughter back into a human. (Of course, there has to be a fantasy twist to my stories; that's where my brain always seems to go. ;-)) The thing is, she's got two things tugging at her that's making her hesitate, and her son doesn't waste anytime pointing out to her that 1) the thugs aren't that far away, and 2) she promised to take them to the witch who lives by this one stream to get his sister back.

Or something like that. For me, the hardest thing is to talk to people on the phone; those I talk with all the time are no problem. But talking to doctors or insurance people or whomever...that's another matter. I can't tell you how many times I've put off and put off and put off talking on the phone. But these had to be dealt with sooner rather than later, so I usually dove in.

I've survived, somehow. And in this story, this woman will survive, too. But she and her kids are going to learn a few things along the way, just as I have.

It feels good to be back. I hope I stay writing for a long time to come.

Take care, one and all.

0 comments: