2008-05-05

Monday Wrap Up: 5/3-5/4

Time for a major flog, word count buddies. ::sigh:: I haven't written anything since Friday. Truth is, I was a little depressed over the weekend. It just seems like everything is hitting the fan right now, what with hubby trying to find a job, his depression, our worsening finances, my losing my job somewhere between June and October of this year...

I know that this sounds like a lot of griping - and it is - but it's very tough for me right now. I haven't told hubby a thing about the company I work for being bought out, and that Number One Boss' last day is October 31 this year.

Keeping it from him and a lot of other people isn't easy. And the reason I'm keeping it from people is because, well, I know they'll freak out. (Especially hubby and his siblings. Gawd, will they ever flip, and I really don't need that right now.)

So I continue to encourage hubby, to try to be happy and upbeat...but it's hard when you're staring at possible bankruptcy.

As for loans, forget it; already done that. At least Number One Boss has come up with an idea: He'll let me know when he's found something, so then I can put my ass in gear. I'll get some severance money, which I can put toward paying taxes on the loan I took out on my 401k. I do feel completely confident about finding another job, although I'll have to look far afield (NYC, I'm talking about, which ain't exactly close to home).

Looking in Pennsylvania, which is closer to home, isn't going to cut it. They pay poverty wages, when what I need is a champagne salary (which is what I can get in NYC).

And then I had to listen to hubby lose it (in a really sad way) after talking to his mother on the phone. Will she ever learn to get over spewing that Jehovah's Witness bullshit? My guess is, no, even though hubby has told her to cut it out, that he'd never be interested in joining that cult.

It is a cult - I don't care what anybody says.

Ack, sorry to go on like this. I'll take the flogging; I knew the deal when I signed up.

On the good end of things, I read some really good and funny writing exercises over on Evil Editor's blog. :-) And that includes mine - Number 2 (shameless plug, I know ;-)).

I loves a good, old-fashioned detective story; I did one thinking of movies like This Gun For Hire.

~Nancy Beck

2 comments:

Liz said...

It's really hard to write when you're up against it. And you are. So although a flogging is in order, it's only a gentle one.

BUT if you'd written it up as a potential scene for a future project... or even better, as a possible tangent for one of your minor characters, you'd have avoided the flogging all together.

Chin up, Nancy. I'm pulling for you.

Nancy Beck said...

jjones,

Um...okay. Whatever. (I could get into the entire thing where the JW are selective about not only blood transfusions but other things, but I digress.)

Liz,

Thanks. I wrote that post when I was really, really down. But I'm never down for very long, thank goodness.

And I've written stuff the past 3 days, pushing my total number of words past the total number of words I had for the entire month of April. Yay me! :-)

I'll be updating my count today, a little later on. Whether I'll keep whatever I've written...meh. I'm not going to worry about it; I'll just keep forging ahead.