2011-10-20

Do You Really What to Diss People?

Especially people who have a ton of knowledge on any particular subject?

This post on Kris Rusch's site really resonated with me today, because I'm going through something similar, except it's in the corporate office realm:

The Business Rusch: R*E*S*P*E*C*T

Which is why I can't really get into any long-winded post. All I'll say is that I feel like I've been sucker punched; I've been working very, very hard in this temp job, at a rate that's well below what I'm used to. (And I know: I was expecting to make anywhere near what I was making, but it's nice to bitch and moan about it occasionally. ;-))

Thus Kris' post. Read it, and see if you don't go WHAT?! about what some people had the temerity to tell her, someone who's won awards, someone who's run a publishing company, someone who was an editor at a fantasy mag, someone who's written fantasy, science fiction (SF), and romance novels. And those novels have sold quite a bit.

She knows her stuff. Duh.

Yet one guy tried to tell her how the publishing biz works, and the other said she didn't know how to write in whatever genre he was talking about.

Double duh. I finished reading one of her SF shorts (forget which one it is at the moment), and I just recently purchased the first in her Retrieval Artist series. The Retrieval Artist one I bought for two reasons: because the opening brought a tear to my eye and because the premise sounded really interesting.

Here's the Retrieval Artist one, if you're so inclined.

The moral of the story: Don't diss those who have a boatload of knowledge in whatever arena; that's called respect.

0 comments: