2007-09-11

So We Come to the 6 Year Anniversary of 9-11...

Where were you on 9/11/2001?

I was at home, recuperating from surgery; I was due to go to the doctor on 9/12, to have the catheter removed.

It was a very strange day to begin with. Turning on Turner Classic Movies, I usually settle in to watch whatever is on (with few exceptions).

But not that day.

The movie on that morning, Stanley and Livingstone, starring Spencer Tracy, is one that I normally would watch. But, strangely, I was very restless. It's possible that I was antsy because I'd been on short-term disability for several weeks; there's no way to know for sure.

Anyway, I turned the channel, flipping through various stations. I finally came upon one that showed a very tall, burning building. An announcer or reporter for this New York station said that a plane had just flown into one of the World Trade Center towers...

It was so unusual a thing, that I called my husband at work, telling him about it.

Later that morning, I watched in stupefied horror as the second plane hit the other tower.

Yeah, lucky me. Dark smoke billowed around the first tower, and I saw something coming in from one of the sides of the picture. I suddenly realized it was a plane. I said something like, "No, no, what are you doing?"

As we know now, the despicable guy at the controls knew exactly what he was doing.

The world hasn't been the same since.

~Nancy Beck

0 comments: