2007-10-03

What I'm Currently Reading #2

I've been on a book buying spree lately (paperbacks only; hardbacks are too frickin' heavy to carry around), probably because my personal life is, well, not so nice. (Be careful what you wish for: If you have a boring life, BELIEVE ME, I'll take that over the nightmare hubby and I living through right now. Trust me.)

So books take me away from all that, at least for a little while.

I saw the cover of this one book in the fantasy section (duh) at the local bookstore. It looked cool, with a dirty blonde on the cover holding a huge sword, with the smirk that said, C'mon, I really want to kick someone's ass today, and it might as well be yours.

Yeah.

It's called Magic Lost, Trouble Found, by Lisa Shearin, and to my surprise and delight, she's repped by Kristin Nelson! :-) So far, I'm liking what I'm reading, because it has some cynical humor (some of it self deprecating), it doesn't take place in the world we know, and that woman on the cover is an elf - with a kick-ass attitude.

Yeah.

She's holding some sort of amulet (don't groan; this isn't the usual poor orphan finds something and comes upon powers she didn't know she had), and she's curious as to what the heck it is and why the Big Bad Dude (who sounds especially sinister) wants it.

Yeah.

Once I finish it, I aims to write a review, I aims to.

~Nancy Beck

3 comments:

Lisa Shearin said...

Hi Nancy,

I'm so glad you're enjoying Magic Lost, Trouble Found! And I just LOVE your description of Raine on the cover. ; ) In case you're not aware, there is a sequel (Armed & Magical which will be out in May). And Superagent Kristin Nelson just sold the next two books in the series again to Anne Sowards at Ace. By tomorrow evening, the first two chapters of Armed & Magical will be posted on my site www.lisashearin.com. Please pop over, give them a read, and visit a while.

Take care!
Lisa

Nancy Beck said...

Lisa,

Yup, read about the sequel, and that's wonderful about selling 2 more in the series! :-) How awesome is that? (Very.)

Ooo, I hope those two chaps of Armed & Magical are still up.

But - Must. Finish. First. Book. Now. (Besides, those sugar knots had me drooling. ;-))

Lisa Shearin said...

Hi Nancy,

In addition to the sample chapters for Armed & Magical, I've just posted the cover art. It's fabulous! Pop over to lisashearin.com when you get a chance.

Lisa