2008-05-09

Orbit to Expand In the U.S.

Just got this off Publishers Lunch:
Orbit says they will expand their lists in the both the US--where title count will double over the next three years, to 70 to 80 books a year by 2011, and in the UK, where the list is targeted to grow about 10 percent annually over the next three years. (Orbit is already the biggest sci-fi/fantasy imprint in the UK.) Publisher Tim Holman says, "The support that we've received for our launch season in the US - and the success that we've achieved internationally - has given us great confidence in our publishing strategy. There is a clear and significant opportunity for any SFF publisher looking to expand the core readership, and we intend Orbit to be at the forefront of the effort to attract more readers to SF and Fantasy."
Ooo, nice! :-) I have one Orbit book at the moment, although I haven't finished it as yet; the writing was a bit choppy to me, but it might just be me. ;-) I'll give it another go at some point.

But for those of us writing SFF, this is good news - another venue to which agents can sell our manuscripts. (Well, as soon as we can GET an agent, lol.)

Have a great weekend!

~Nancy Beck

4 comments:

Ben said...

Hi, Nancy. I haven't commented on your blog before, but I noticed you missed posting to the Word Count Buddies site, so here's a flogging! Feel free to delete this if you don't want it polluting your otherwise interesting post. :)

Liz said...

That is indeed great news for us SSF writers. As an ex-Brit I know my writing has a slightly different *feel* to it that may be a tad more attractive to a UK-based publishing house. Not, I hasten to add, that I've received a sheaf of rejections from US-based publishing houses. No such luck! I still haven't finished polishing my first effort. But I'm really close.

Completely off-topic, Nancy, I watched Twelve O'Clock High last night. While it doesn't qualify as one of the heyday blockbusters you've been logging about, it's truly excellent on all counts. You should check it out, if you haven't done so already.

Nancy Beck said...

Feel free to delete this if you don't want it polluting your otherwise interesting post. :)

I never delete a post unless it's obvious spam (which I think I had a few weeks ago; but that was a very, very old post, so I publised it anyway).

Yeah, I have this weird aversion to writing on weekends, lol. I think after tiring myself out with the whole work thing during the week (and the commute), I can't seem to handle any sort of writing.

I'll have to correct that - hopefully sometime soon! :-)

Nancy Beck said...

I watched Twelve O'Clock High last night. While it doesn't qualify as one of the heyday blockbusters you've been logging about, it's truly excellent on all counts. You should check it out, if you haven't done so already.

Wow, haven't seen that in quite a while. Gregory Peck, as a bomber pilot/general. I remember it primarily for the guys seriously cracking under pressure. (Who the hell wouldn't?)

Movie is here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041996/