2008-01-23

Why My Novel Is On Hold At the Moment

Got to thinkin' about why I haven't had much enthusiasm for fiction writing lately.

Then it whacked me upside the head yesterday: Concerns about money.

Duh.

I'm not into get-rich-quick things (because they obviously don't work, except for the person putting forth such stuff), so I'm looking to make some extra money to at least pay down some of the credit card debt. I want to build something on a week-to-week basis. There'll be some planning involved, but not a hell of a lot.

Because I figure if I get stuck at the planning phase...nothing will go forward.

Anyway, my current WIP is not dead; in fact, in the past 2 weeks, I bought (with cash) a couple of maps of the L.A. area. One is about 1938, the other 1943. They also show rail lines, which is important, as I have my characters hopping aboard some, here and there. I'm thinking that this will help in my figuring out how long it'll take those characters to get from one spot in L.A. to another, and to other environs, too.

This was what I lacked: Knowing how long it would take to go from one place to another. (And you thought you didn't have to do research for fiction - hah!) At least now I feel I'll be able to sounded intelligent in getting these babes around town.

As I continue to research non fiction avenues and formulate a plan, don't think I'll just give up on this blog.

Ain't gonna happen.

It's just that right now, I have to work on getting extra money into our coffers. Once there's some kind of stream coming in, THEN my brain can start to have fun again with my WIP.

If you found this article or my blog useful, please favorite me at Technorati.

~Nancy Beck

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Nancy, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. Holly Lisle's been going through a similar thing. She is recommending (and she doesn't so that very often) a course that can help with establishing an additional income stream. I cna't find the link to it right now, but I''ll look and send it to your email account in the next day or so. -- Liz

Nancy Beck said...

Thanks, Liz. :-)

I have an open mind on just about anything, so send the link along.